When a Check Engine Light appears on your dash, diagnostic codes can be read from the main computer with a code reader. We will read these codes as a courtesy for our
customers. The codes allow us to determine if the problem requires you to stop driving your car immediately before damage (or more damage) can occur. These codes will provide us a clue to the problem, but it takes an educated and experienced technician to be a detective and to determine what part or system then needs to be addressed.
|Dr. John – Technician|
inspection and diagnostic time could show simple breakdown and cracking in the air inlet hose ($150-200). Further diagnostics can actually save you money in the long run.
- MAP Sensor: Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor, which is a vacuum gauge. Symptoms: Poor running (idling), stalling.
- Mass Airflow Sensor: Measures air entering the engine and adjusts the fuel/air mixture. Symptoms: Poor running, stalling.
- Temperature Sensor(s): Since temperature is critical to your vehicle’s operation and increased heat can cause severe damage, there are several temperature sensors. Of particular importance is the coolant/engine block temperature sensor. Problems will present as rich or lean mixture, black smoke (rich).
- Crankshaft/Camshaft Position Sensor: On engines for computer controlled timing, this sensor tells the computer which cylinder should be firing. Symptoms: no start, hesitation, misfires.
- Oxygen Sensor: Used to fine tune the fuel/air mixture (input) and measure exhaust gases both before and after the catalytic convertor (monitors emission standards). Symptoms: poor fuel economy and Check Engine Light on.
Computers have made our vehicles more responsive and sophisticated, and automated – to a point. Even with our advanced technology, our cars still require the basics for safe and reliable operation: regular maintenance – oil, as well as other fluids and lubrication- and replacement of parts that wear with time and mileage.At Honest Accurate Auto, we can sort through the complex technology of today’s vehicles, any American or Japanese make and model. Let us make it easy for you!