Right now we’re enjoying the beautiful temperatures of autumn weather, but we all know that winter will likely be here before we know it! Here’s what you need to do to get your car ready for winter driving.
#1: Check the Stuff That Keeps Your Car Running
A certified mechanic should check your battery, antifreeze level, brakes, and tires. You don’t want to be caught on the side of the road if your battery goes out or your car’s radiator or block crack due to lack of antifreeze. And we all know how important brakes and good tires are for winter weather driving.
#2: Check Your Heating and Visual Elements
Your mechanic should also check your defroster, heater and lights. Your defroster is key for visual clarity, and driving in a car without a working heater can be dangerous as the temperatures drop. Your lights should all be checked to make sure they’re operational to ensure you have visibility during winter weather. Your hazard lights should also be inspected, as they are essential if you have to pull over for any reason.
#3: Check Your Wipers
Make sure your windshield wipers are in good condition to ensure you can see during winter weather. Consider investing in specialized blades to cut through snow and ice. Also consider changing out your windshield wiper fluid with one made to spray in freezing conditions. Be sure to check the nozzles of your windshield wiper system, too. It doesn’t do any good to change to a non-freezing fluid if it can’t get onto your windshield!
#4: Keep Your Car in Good Condition
During the winter, the sand and magnesium chloride used to keep roads from freezing can damage your car—both the paint and the undercarriage. Thorough washing and a coat of wax will help prevent corrosion to keep your car looking and performing its best. Also make sure you get regular oil changes throughout the season.
#5: Be Prepared for an Emergency
Lastly, it’s always a good idea to keep an emergency roadside kit in your car, just in case you do end up in an accident or with some sort of system failure. Make sure your cell phone is always charged when you get on the road so you can call for emergency assistance when necessary.
Prepare Your Car for Winter at Honest Accurate Auto Service
If you’re looking to get your car serviced and ready for winter driving, Honest Accurate Auto Service has a “Bumper-to-Bumper” Winterization/TripCheck Service that includes the following:
- Tire Condition and Inflation Check: Wear/Tread Depth
- Front and Rear Brake Check – Pads
- Hydraulic System & Fluid, & Emergency Brake
- Check Steering, Ball Joints, and Tie Rod Ends
- Power Steering Rack & Pinion, Pump, Hoses & Fluid
- Axle Shafts & Boots/U-Joints
- Condition of Front and Rear Struts and Shocks
- Headlight, Tail light, and Brake Light/Turn Signal checks
- Wiper Blade Condition
- Condition of Muffler, Catalytic convertor, Exhaust Pipes & hangers
- Check for Engine, Transmission, Transfer Case leaks
- Fluid Check (Transmission, Differential and Coolant Fluid)and Top Off
- Condition of Drive Belts & Adjustment
- Condition of Radiator, Heater and Hoses, Coolant
- Battery test – voltage, cables and terminals
- Condition of Air Filter
- Road Test Vehicle
Visit www.HonestAccurateAuto.com or stop at either of our Colorado Springs locations. You can schedule an appointment online, or give us a call at (719) 357-8989 for our Tutt Blvd. location or (719) 445-7505 for our Nevada Mesa View location.